Insurance Policy – Part II

Please Read Part I before starting the second part.

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Let me give you another set of options:

Case B:

Let’s say you own a motorbike which you really love. There is a 25% chance that your motorbike will meet an accident and will require repair cost of 200 Rs, while there is a 75% chance that the motorbike will not suffer any accident. So here are your two choices:

  1. Pay Insurance premium of Rs. 50 to avoid paying repair cost of your motorbike
  2. Suffer 200 Rs. loss to your motorbike repair cost (25% chance) or Zero Loss to your motorbike (75% chance)

Which one will you choose?

Again, as in the previous case explained in the beginning of this article, majority (98%) of the individuals choose to take option 1. Hardly a few will select option 2. The fact is both these options again value to the same price.

Now comes the most interesting part: Compare option 1 of Case A and Case B – are the 2 options any different? Option 1 of Case A mentions a sure loss of 50 Rs. while that of case 2 mentions paying an insurance premium. Are they two different? No – they are exactly the same. Similarly, option2 of case A and B are also exactly the same. Yet majority of individuals (including me) end up selecting option 2 for case A and option 1 for case B. The only difference in case A and case B is about the presentation. The same concept is presented in 2 different forms so we end up making 2 different choices. This shows how wrong we are in our perception.

Advertisements
Tagged

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: